01 /
01 /

Financial hardship

What is financial hardship?

If due to unforeseen circumstances you’re experiencing a change in your financial situation which impacts your ability to meet your repayment obligations, you may be experiencing financial hardship.

This may relate to unemployment, a serious medical illness or injury, family and domestic violence, COVID-19 or a natural disaster such as floods, bushfires etc.

What is financial hardship?
02 /

Our process


So that we can best assess your situation we need to get some further information from you. The following steps will guide you through the application process.

How to apply?


Complete an application form

Complete the hardship application form available in this link, or call us on 1300 638 435 to request an application to be sent to you by email or post.


Send us your application

Send a completed and signed copy of the application form to our hardship team for review.

Email us at: assistance@metrofin.com.au

Write to us at: PO Box R1735,
Royal Exchange NSW 1225

What happens next?


Wait for assessment

Once you have returned all the required information, our hardship team will assess your financial circumstance and identify the best course of action moving forward.


Provide more information if required

Once we have reviewed your application and in order to give your application the best chance of success, we may reach out to obtain additional information. If further information is requested, you will be required to provide this information to us within 21 days from the date of request.


We know times like this can be stressful, so we aim to provide you with a decision as soon as possible, however the assessment process may take up to 21 days from the date you provide all the requested information.

03 /

Contact us

Who do I contact for assistance?

If you would like to discuss your situation with us or have questions regarding financial hardship our dedicated hardship team is available 9am – 5pm Monday to Friday. Our team will work with you to assess your situation and help to find a solution that suits your financial situation.

04 /

Your rights

What if I’m not satisfied with the decision?

If you are not satisfied with our decision, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA). The AFCA scheme is a free service established to provide you with an independent mechanism to resolve specific complaints.

Time limits may apply if you wish to complain to AFCA. You should act promptly, or otherwise consult the AFCA website at www.afca.org.au to find out if or when the time limit relevant to your circumstances expires.